When Smriti Irani turned tables against oppn..New Delhi: A belligerent HRD Minister Smriti Irani on Wednesday, 24th February 2016, targeted the Congress, especially Rahul Gandhi, and the Left after a debate on JNU and Hyderabad University controversies in Lok Sabha turned into a no-holds-barred battle between Government and the Opposition.
In a hard-hitting reply, laced with emotion and anger, she forcefully defended the action against students of JNU saying Kanhaiya Kumar and some other students had been found indulging in anti-national activities by the JNU authorities themselves.
The debate, which was advanced in the Lok Sabha from tomorrow after Congress insisted on it, was often acrimonious with attacks and counter-attacks with each side giving its version of nationalism and patriotism.
While the Congress and other opposition parties accused the government of creating an atmosphere of divide and hatred in its attempt to keep alive divisive issues, the treasury benches accused them of being on the side of anti-national elements.
Government fielded two other heavyweights--Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Urban Development M Venkaiah Naidu--besides Irani to take on a combined opposition.
Irani's aggression drew praise from Prime Minister Narendra Modi who tweeted: "satyamev jayate" along with the video of her speech. Singh, who took the floor after Irani, said any amount of praise for her would not be enough.
Facing flak over slapping sedition charges on Kanhaiya Kumar and others, Singh said the issue should now be left to the courts to decide. Even a BJP ally TDP voiced concern over the issue, saying sedition charge was a harsh action.
"If police is right the courts will justify that. If police is wrong, then the court can discharge them," he said adding no innocent student would be harassed.
Here are few extracts by Smriti Irani:
* Satta to Indira Gandhi ne bhi khoyi thi magar unke beto ne Bharat ki barbadi ke naaro ka samarthan nahi kiya..
· ^* There still are many VCs appointed by UPA,I challenge that even if one of them says I do saffronization I will leave politics-Smriti Irani
· # If I mention Chanakya, they will say it is 'saffron'. Hence I quoted a Roman philosopher in my speech-Smriti Irani in Lok Sabha.
· * I am looking at this class 4 book by Teesta Setalvad, commissioned by Kapil Sibal during UPA,see what all is written-Smriti Irani in LS
· * I have said it time and again that 'shiksha ko ranbhoomi mat banao'
· * Omer Khalid misled the JNU administration,he said in an application form that he was organizing poetry reading.
· * Have you ever seen Rahul Gandhi go to one spot twice? No, he saw a political opportunity here.
· * In his statement, Rohith Vemula said no one was responsible for his death.